Every other queue closed for Covid safety

Covid Safe Dining on Campus

Due to COVID safety measures, the cafeteria dining room is closed to students during regular hours. Students can pick up their school breakfast in the morning and eat in the outdoor dining area under the metal roof and white plastic canopies. Only four students can sit together at one table, while remaining six feet apart during the dining periods of breakfast and lunch. Incidentally, the cafeteria is open to students enrolled in the after school Woodcraft Rangers program.

Pizzabolis, chicken smackers, and taco nadas are among the favorite selections for students. Entrees are served with fresh fruit and vegetables and your choice of chocolate milk (fat-free) or regular milk. Mai Truong (’22) complimented the Garvey pizza giving it an 8/10 rating, however, Audrey Tamanaha was not as generous. “5 out of 10,” she remarked. Allisson Sanchez commended the staff for doing their best to provide nutritious meals for the student body, but she said that she was not the biggest fan of the Garvey cuisine.

Allisson was not the only one who lacked enthusiasm for the school food at Garvey. “It seems that most students eat the school lunches here only to stay energized, rather than for the taste. If school lunches were more enticing, more students would be eager to eat them,” said Reyna Guan (’22) “The food here is always hit or miss,” remarked Shayla Tran. One of the biggest hits on the menu is Papa John’s pizza day, when the food line stretches back to the auditorium entrance. Mustangs give high praise to both generous pepperoni and cheese slices.

Emily Li and Stephanie Dong (’23) enjoying Papa John’s pizza day

Meet Ms. Vien

Staff writer Emily Guan (’23) spoke to Ms. Sarah Vien, the kitchen manager at Garvey Intermediate.

Ms. Vien: There are four staff members here at Garvey: Martha Sandoval, Anna Chu, and Grace Ye. For breakfast, we serve about 55-60 meals and for lunch we serve about 310-330 meals each day. But it does vary, like last week when we had pizza, more students came and picked up lunch. We always provide individually wrapped lunches along with beans, vegetables, fruits, and milk.

For breakfast we serve cereal every day and sometimes pancakes. If students don’t like the lunch they received, they can come to us and we will give them a cold ham & cheese sandwich. We always have the menu posted outside for students to see what we are serving for the day.

Mustang Media • Copyright 2022 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in