Thank you Kindly

Thoughts before entering high school

Eighth Graders honor their friends and loved ones before leaving for high school

Annie Huang (’22)

This school year at Garvey Intermediate we joined together with the rest of the world to do our best to stop the spread of the virus in order to return to our normal lives. We moved forward together month by month and supported each other every step of the way. This year at Garvey we’ve made new friendships, reinvented ourselves, found new interests, and most importantly survived through it all. Who knew that we’d end up here in the final days of eighth grade so fast?

For this, I want each and every one of you to be grateful for something or someone – whether it’s yourself, your friends, or your family. We all were there for our loved ones and kept each other sane. Being grateful is a simple but wonderful thing, as it leads to having hope. This hope of a better future is what ultimately got us through the recent unpredictable journey.

However, every beginning leads to an end. Our ending at Garvey is marked with every achievement that we made along the way. Every challenging assignment, test, and project that we’ve had to complete at Garvey has brought us to this moment. I made a promise at the beginning of this year to help us remember this year as an exceptional year, regardless of the dark cloud of the pandemic. I hope everyone at Garvey has taken steps with me towards a better tomorrow regardless of the different struggles we’ve faced this year. To quote one of my favorite artists, Taylor Swift, “And if you never bleed, you’re never going to grow.”

Thank you for growing with me and being ready to embark on yet another beginning in high school after a hard-earned ending in middle school.

Havon Ha (’22)

Hey everyone, wow, what a year. I know you’re probably tired of hearing “it’s been one of the most unique and challenging years of our lives.” But I really do think it’s been a rollercoaster for all of us. Finally coming back to school in-person felt like a breath of fresh air. We all got back to seeing our peers in person, and we got back into the flow of things. Because if I’m being honest, I think I started to go insane being stuck at home with nothing to do. There are some things I miss about distance learning, like being able to attend class in my PJ pants or being able to learn without a mask, but I wouldn’t trade the proper school experience for anything else in the world.

I remember how scary it was to be on campus for the first time. I was all jittery and panicking (not the best look on me), but eventually I warmed up to everything and I’m the happiest I’ve been ever since the pandemic began. As a student, I understand the struggle of not wanting to go to school, not wanting to complete your work, and just not having the motivation to step into each day with your best foot forward. But as students, this school is like our second home. We spend a major portion of our day among our peers and teachers, and it’s best to make the most of the time we spend here. Whether you want to talk to someone new, get to class faster, or even turn in that missing assignment, every day gives you a fresh start and an opportunity to do so. All you need to do is go for it and take that leap.

I understand that this year has had its ups and downs for everyone, but what’s important is that we made it through the 2021-2022 school year. Every struggle, every conflict, every problem that we encountered is what shaped our middle school experience. But most importantly, it is what shapes YOU. You live and learn from your mistakes and this only makes you stronger, and able to take on anything thrown at you in life. Farewell Mustangs and I wish you all the best in the years to come!