From Mustang to Matador & Aztec

Matadors welcome Mustangs during the high school showcase

Julie Phan

When I first entered San Gabriel High School, my first impression of the school was wow  – huge campus and huge school spirit.

I was greeted with a line of smiling cheerleaders welcoming Garvey eighth-graders. We were divided into smaller groups and followed a gracious Matador tour guide around the school. I loved my student guides because they were very friendly and answered all of our questions about being a freshman. They also treated us with chips and a refreshing beverage. After the tour we gathered around the football stadium and watched the band, cheer, color guard, drill, and choreo teams perform on the field. Incoming freshmen from other local middle schools also participated in SG school spirit games and activities.

At the end of the San Gabriel Showcase students explored the club fair. Dozens of SG clubs provided candy and treats from their booths to entice middle school students to join their club. There is a club at SG for every student and every interest including clubs for video games, anime, environmental awareness, caring for animals, homeless outreach and more.

I returned to Garvey with a bag of SG treats and a great excitement about going from being a Mustang to a Matador.

by Aidan Loc