College Student Remembers life at Garvey

Kylie Tran (’15) [on the left] on graduation day at San Gabriel High School

Katelyn Lee

Staff writer Katelyn Lee spoke to her sister, Kylie Tran (’15), a student at Cal Poly Pomona University majoring in education about being an eighth-grader at Garvey Intermediate. Excerpts from the conversation:

What is your educational background?

KT: I attended Garvey Intermediate, San Gabriel High School, and now I’m at Cal Poly Pomona.

Now that you’re older and more independent do you have any occupational experience? If so, is it hard to balance a job and school work?

I work as a teacher’s aide at Alpha-Shen Preschool and I’m grateful to be there, since not a lot of people have opportunities like this. I only have classes on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, so it’s easy to balance my schedule around work.

What was your time like at Garvey? Did being a student at Garvey influence your perspective on life now?

KT : My time at Garvey was awesome! Some of the people that I’ve met at Garvey are still friends with me today. Garvey has taught me to be more free and to not force myself into situations just to appeal better to the people around me. It’s middle school, after all. You shouldn’t fixate yourself on how you look or act towards others. The biggest step forward is to focus on education and planning what high school you’ll attend.

I used to major in computer engineering in college because my older brother persuaded me to, but I decided to switch majors, as it felt more comfortable for me to be in the education field. [This is an example of how Garvey “taught me to be more free” with decision making].

Were there any memorable people or events from your time at Garvey?

KT : Oh, definitely. The first person I can think of off the top of my head is my boyfriend Jason. We met in middle school and he used to like me. We’ve been dating for over a year now. Most of the friends that I used to have at Garvey sadly went to Mark Keppel or we lost contact. We had fun times during PE, playing capture the flag, freeze tag, and running around with a frisbee. I also enjoyed hanging out with my friends after school at McDonald’s.

Who was the most memorable teacher you had at Garvey?

KT : Probably Mr. Huerta. He was always there when I needed help on projects and was overall very easy-going. If I’m coming to your promotion this year, I’d definitely love to talk to him again. He’s one of the teachers who I used to look up to, and now it’s funny to think that my younger sibling now has him as a teacher.

Do you have any advice for 8th graders moving onto high school?

KT: Keep doing what you’re doing. If you’re on the right path, high school will feel like a piece of cake, mostly. Don’t procrastinate on assignments; it’ll start piling up sooner or later. Keep friends close with you because you’ll really need their support during the school years. Hopefully, this pandemic will end soon so that high school will feel refreshing for [you next school year].