Travis Scott Apologizes to Fans

Allisson Sanchez and Jazleen Zavala

Houston Chronicle

A Houston music concert organized to bring fans together ended in tragedy with the deaths of ten people on November 5. The youngest death was 9 and the oldest was 27. Three hundred other fans were treated for injuries. As rapper Jacques “Travis Scott” Webster performed on stage at the Astroworld Festival, zealous fans rushed the stage, suffocating and trampling fans near the front of the stage.

John Hilgert, a freshman at Memorial High School, was one of the fatalities reports Caroline Linton of CBS News. Another high school student, Brianna Rodriguez, a junior at Heights High School, was also killed. Both Hilgert and Rodriguez were from Houston.

On Twitter, Scott wrote, “My prayers go out to the families and all those impacted by what happened at Astroworld Festival. Houston PD has my total support as they continue to look into the tragic loss of life.” Scott announced that he was paying for the funeral costs of the deceased. USA Today reports that Scott was arrested in 2015 and 2017 for disorderly conduct and inciting riots at his shows, pleading guilty in both cases.

Scott is expecting a second child with his partner, Kylie Jenner. He has been nominated for eight Grammy Awards. His first Billboard hit single was “Sicko Mode” featuring Drake. The 2021 Astroworld lineup included many big names in the music industry including: SZA, Roddy Ricch, 21 Savage, and Bad Bunny.

Provided by HHS and Travis Scott (Heights High School)