Tales from a Woodcraft Ranger

Jayden La

This is my first year as a member of the Woodcraft Ranger after school program and so far it’s been an enjoyable experience. Woodcraft enrolls over 100 Garvey students in their program which starts at the end of Period 7 and ends at 6:00 pm.Woodcraft provides students with academic support and extracurricular activities including sports and arts and crafts. It’s a great place to make new friends and socialize with other Garvey students after a long day at school. 

Mr. Seth, the WR Director, organizes the events and numerous clubs like skateboarding club, basketball club, dancing, soccer, and visual art. I signed up for the skateboarding club and I had no skating experience, but my club advisor, Mr. Anthony was very helpful and patient in teaching me how to maneuver and do tricks on the skateboard. You can try different clubs at the start of each month. The most popular club is probably basketball and this club often uses the gymnasium. I think that Woodcraft is more focused on recreational activities but they have homework time. You can bring your own computer to complete online homework. The homework time is about thirty minutes, but you can have more time if needed. 

WR provides snacks, however, they are often pre-packaged snacks. Many of my friends and I at Woodcraft agree that WR could improve their snack menu. In the summer, Woodcraft hosts a very engaging summer program that includes elementary students from all over the Garvey School District.